Tuesday, February 13, 2007

WHAT TEACHERS MAKE...

Someone sent this to me and I thought it was worth sharing...

The dinner guests were sitting around the table
discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with
education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn
from someone who decided his best option in life was
to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say
about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't,
teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're
a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness
replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused
for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought
they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of
Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when
their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I-Pod,
Game Cube or movie rental...

You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and
looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for
their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math.

I make my students from other countries learn
everything they need to know in English while
preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel
safe.

I make my students stand to say the Pledge of
Allegiance to the Flag, because we live in the United
States of America.

**side note - I don't necessarily believe in this. I believe in freedom of religion, and therefore would prefer in "under God" was removed from the Pledge. This idea of heavenly ordainment on our country seems very Roman Empire-esque. Very Crusades-esque. Also, the whole pledge seems brain-washy. The notion of this mass conformity to allegiance to a government is pretty scary. Not to sound like an anarchist but we should constantly challenge authority to help keep them in check.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the
gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their
hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I
can hold my head up high and pay no attention because
they are ignorant...

You want to know what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you make?"



THERE IS MUCH TRUTH IN THIS STATEMENT: "Teachers make
every other profession"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home